27/06/2013

A selection of temples

(which in some older (British?) books I have are spelled "templars" or "templates"), can also be called stretchers.

I seldom use them, and I only have one wide and one very small that are new.
But I have collected a nice selection, and most can be used - even if most of the old wooden ones have lost their "hinge" pins (but a nail works).

Here are a few:



The smallest wooden one has a feature - it is cut-away, presumably to make more of the web visible:


The metal ones come in two different types: with holes or threaded.

A couple of "holed":



(Of course, they have a, er, "thingie" on the other end, to hold them down when in use - see below)

The threaded ones are my favourites (except when it comes to setting the width...). The hinge is in the, hm, nut (I suppose it can be called?):


This one is stamped "LUNDIN" (should be readable if clicked). I might be that it comes from the venerable Lundins vävskedsfabrik - they are a true family business that started as reed-makers in 1931. The family had a history of reed-making since the 1890-ies. They still manufacture temples in metal, and also reeds (including my fan reed.

Here is the other end, with the "thingie" visible:


Some of my metal ones are rather coarse, some have very short teeth. Considering the wear that I found on one of my wooden reeds, I guess that even the temples got a good work-out, maybe resulting in wear-shortened teeth?

1 comment:

Laura Fry said...

I noticed that Else had some interesting temples.
cheers,
Laura