First attempts at weaving words

This was almost 10 years ago. The AVL was new to me, and (of course) I wanted to jump in at the deep end.

So I decided to weave "open" and "closed" signs for my shop. I mean(t) - how difficult could it be? I had some nice weaving software, and a computerized loom... so on I went.
Doing the design was no problem. The software could handle letters, and after testing various typefaces and sizes I had all my letters done, none requiring more than 13 blocks. (Multi-block summer & winter was sort of new to me, too. Before the AVL I had - still have - a 16-shaft countermarche with "only" 20 treadles)

On to weaving.
Unfortunately I have no pictures of my first try (tries), but it came out backwards. (Or maybe both backwards and upside-down - I can't remember, but I was really confused)
Totally confused, I tried to understand what was happening.
Tried to do all sorts of things to my design, but could not get the letters to come out correctly. I still don't know why my first "t" came out mirrored...
Started thinking, tried the draft with pen and paper... until the AHA-moment came: the difference between draw-UP and draw-DOWN.

The Swedish way (draw-UP) shows what happens when you weave, as you weave it: the first pick is nearest to you (the weaver), then the design develops upwards (on the paper) or away from you (on the loom). WYSIWYG, as they call it in other applications :-)

After too much work (considering it was a short and narrow piece of weaving), I finally had my signs.
I did the "open" double-sided (and no - it doesn't work to use the back side. I had to weave two pieces)

Nowadays, if I have a directional design, I always (well - nearly) remember reverse the weaving direction.

No comments: