I had been thinking of "upgrading" this old idea - making it in wool-only. Would the pattern be visible, if doing it with the same open structure as the simple lattices?

Just cut off, it looked very un-interesting:

Well, if I was in for a disappointment, I might as well try another idea: a three-layer all-wool version.

I decided to make the grids the same size as for the two-layer versions - would it be possible to tease the layers apart after the machine-finishing? Or would the whole thing come out hopelessly felted?

After pre-sleying it looked open enough:

Of course, it was a bit less open on loom:

Each layer has 1 cm (8 ends) wide "bands" placed 5 cm apart, which only gives 1 cm of empty dents when combined (1cm layer1; 1cm empty; 1cm layer2; 1 cm empty; 1cm layer3; 1cm empty - repeat)

Both experiments fringed and ready for their bath - each in it's own mesh bag:

After washing, they both looked, well, tangled...

The brown-and-blue looked exactly as uninteresting washed as it did before. One disappointment done with. (Maybe I will look closer some other time, but for now it is placed in the "failure" bucket.)

The three-layer one was surprisingly un-felted - that is, it was quite easy to tease the layers apart. I liked the look, but we all know that pressing is part of the wet finishing, right?
I decided to experiment further, so I pressed one end as hard/flat as possible. The other end got treated in the mangle - but not very much. (As I wanted to leave the middle untreated, I had to wind it on and off the mangle many many times - it got maybe 6-7 short passes.)

The mangled end to the left, the pressed to the right:

Completely dried, arranged on a mannequin:

I have showed the result to several persons, both weavers and non-weavers. So far, ALL have preferred the mangled end. Myself, I think that perhaps "nothing" is good enough, maybe it could be treated with a short time in the dryer.
And maybe I could try with a slightly more open "mesh" - like 2 cm empties instead?


Laura Fry said...

Interesting that people would prefer the feel of the mangled end. You would think the pressing and mangling would achieve the same feel. Live and learn! ;)

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

The big difference may be the heat? Or, perhaps the mangling was not "enough" - I would certainly have mangled it longer if it wasn't for the experiment.
As it is, the pressed feels, well, pressed, the untreated is a bit, hm, not quite "hard", but there is always a difference in hand for a "just dried" and for a "dried and manipulated" piece of cloth. (Which is why I am thinking a sjort trip in the drier)
- and today yet another non-weaver preferred the mangled end!

Cally said...

I'm so impressed by how straight it looks on the loom! I get quite stressed by open weaves and multiple shuttles... When I tried 3 layers of DDW there was a lot of crashing-to-the-floor involved.

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

Well, I guess I choose the right moment to take the picture ;-)

- actually, there was a lot of fiddling at the right-hand side before I remembered how to let the shuttle(s) exit for the last pick(s). Next time I might do it on the dobby - I *think* 16 shafts would be enough to handle the right-hand edge...