The structure of a shirt

Once again, I made a foray to the second-hand store, found a shirt.
The shirt itself is unremarkable, almost boring, but is feels VERY nice to the touch. Soft and thick, all cotton – I thought it could be seersucker. It will be very nice in the winter, I think.

When I looked closer, it wasn’t seersucker. (I should have known; it is too thick.)

This is an enlargement – this piece is about 2,5 cm (1") square.

Here is the draft (I think; even using a magnifier it is difficult to be quite sure):

The yarn looks like singles, and the sett is about 44 ends/cm.

If we were to "name" this structure, what would it be?


Felizitas said...

Is it deflected doubleweave?

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

From my point of view, no, it is not. All ends/picks are interlaced, even at the float areas.
To me, ddw has to be two independent layers, albeit interlcaed as layers - like the lattice scarves (http://oddweavings.blogspot.se/2012/03/more-lattice-scarves.html ), for instance.
I'm wondering if it is some kind of huck cousin? (or whatever the lace weave I'm thinking of - lace weave names in English is definitely *not* my forte :-)

Laura Fry said...

I'd say huck spots although I haven't yet had my coffee. :^)

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

Well, I called it "cousin" as there are *either* warp floats (on both sides) *or* weft floats (on both sides) - but, as said, I'm notoriously bad wit lace weaves...

Anonymous said...

I'd probably just call it a block weave, and I might add "with floats". But I am very simple-minded!

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

One of the Swe mail-order yarn sellers used to offer lots of "fantasy binding" (structure, if you aren't a fan of Burnham).
A weaving teacher I know uses "twill variation" for several odd structures.
Maybe it can be "lace variation"?